In ASMR Culture

How to film an ASMR video - my YouTube channel



Starting your channel can be an overwhelming task. Especially as many of the content providers out there seem to have tonnes of equipment, advanced editing skills and be ultra confident. One thing to remember though is that most people you see have been running their channel for a long time and not all of the skills and equipment were there at the start. ASMR is not all about equipment and editing, it is very straightforward and simple, it is about you!

I have started my ASMR channel on YouTube two months ago. I felt hesitant at first because I didn’t even have a microphone and I have no idea how to do video editing. All I had was an iPhone 6, a very basic tripod from Amazon and my MacBook. I looked around my room and saw some snacks on the table, that’s it! I decided to do a crinkling food package video as my first ASMR YouTube video. I tidied up my room, set up the tripod, the phone and closed the window, just to make sure my room was in a complete silence. So then it began…  Until now I have uploaded five videos on my YouTube channel: TinglyTingling. I do not have a lot of subscribers and views but it is very satisfying receiving supportive comments, saying how relaxing the videos make them feel like, some of them would also leave me some video requests.

For anyone who would love to film an ASMR video, first step is to get the suitable camera obviously, and preferably 720pHD or above. Usually a phone with a back camera on it will be more than sufficient, but remember to get a camera with similar or higher resolution than that of iPhone 5s. Bare in mind the front facing camera is not ideal, as it does not film at HD. I understand that many of you want to look at yourself while filming and my little advice is to put a mirror behind your phone, such that you can still see yourself when using the back camera.
Next step is to get a tripod for your phone or camera, and set it up horizontally. About the audio part, the microphone of an iPhone is definitely sufficient, but of course if you are really devoted in making ASMR videos and you have a budget, the best microphone you can get is the Binaural Microphone. This excellent microphone allows you to record the most realistic and stereoscopic sound.

Now that you have set up all the equipment and you can start filming.
Find and set up at the good lighting area. Natural lighting is always better, however if waking up early is not ideal for you, then you can purchase studio lights, or just a LED desk lamp can do if you are filming on a table. The good thing about morning light is that it brings out a nice warm colour, but after about 11am, the lighting tends to turn the object greyer. Now everything is set up and you can start filming your first video!


Before starting your Channel, take some time to think about what makes you start doing ASMR video. Never forget how modest and simple ASMR is and see the beauty in every day life. Bring this to every video you make and remember to stick to who you are.  Try not to get caught up in how many subscribers or views you have compared to anyone else, just concentrate on your content. Be proud of it and let it be a reflection of who you are. In life, there will always be someone better than you but no-one does you better.

Related Articles

ShanikeC. Powered by Blogger.